Popular Posts

27 September 2013

Unlucky for some...I won the Lottery on Friday the 13th!


I’ve always known that Camelot load the UK Lottery disproportionately against the punter.  If  prizes were awarded according to chances of winning, that measly tanner they dole out for three correct numbers would be at least £57.  Which is one of the reasons I've never dabbled in what must be one of the most boring gambles around.
I have always preferred the Irish Lottery, which has fewer numbers (45) and where you can get fixed odds online of well over 500/1 if the three numbers you select are among the six winning balls. A few years ago, I won THREE timeswithin a couple of months – including a freak double after I put my £1 internet stake on twice by mistake!
Why I stopped liaising with the leprechauns, I have no idea (note to self, must have a little dabble again soon). Anyway, it’s all been overtaken by EuroMillions, a mere 116-million-to-one  jackpot shot, and also costs twice as much to enter a line as its British equivalent.
I liken both draws to naming six playing cards, then picking those same six from a full pack spread face down in front of you. Logically it is nigh on impossible – but if more than 14 million people attempt it, the odds are that someone will come up trumps.But you can be sure it won't be you or me.
Having said that, a couple of weeks ago on Friday the 13th, I came closer to that EuroMillions jackpot than I've ever done.  My lucky dip numbers were 4, 15, 27, 33 and 48, with 6 and 10 as the lucky stars. The draw itself threw up 4, 6, 14, 27 and 33 with 5 and 10 as lucky stars.
Has 14 been 15, and 5 been 6, I would have won €6,600. Instead, my collection of three correct numbers and one lucky star – a 654/1 chance - won me the magnificent total of 13 euros.
Unlucky for some? Well, at least it was tax free.