Popular Posts

6 May 2012

'Maybe life’s not so bad here with my mates after all. I mean, I’m never on my own and they let me bark as loud as I like...'


I visited two Spanish-run animal rescue centres in Alicante over the weekend – and was left wondering how I would feel if I was an abandoned dog.
OK, the one thing I would want most is love…which I suppose provides the strongest case for ‘get me out of here.’ Escaping with my eardrums intact would also be pretty high on the list after sampling the cacophony that emanated from the heavily populated cages every time life on two feet came within 20 metres.
But would a well-fed existence in a safe, secure environment with a load of barking mad friends not be better than the alternative so many dogs face? And not only in Spain.
I’m talking about the millions of mutts who are left alone for hours every day, often tethered, while their owners head off to the office or factory...